Friday, September 1, 2017

Best way to use portable generator? homeowners

Howdy y'all. I live in Florida where we get lots of severe weather. The trees in my town seem to have pretty shallow root systems, because every time there is any kind of storm, there are trees down everywhere. I thought about getting a whole home natural gas standby generator installed, but it's cost prohibitive at the moment.

I'm sitting here in the dark right now because of a measly storm that came through last night and knocked a tree onto the power lines that power my whole street. Between that and Hurricane Irma which could very easily end up heading my way, I'm looking at getting a portable generator that runs on gasoline and propane.

I've never had a generator before, so I'm not sure the best way to use them. Do you just buy and run a bunch of long extension cords all over your house? Or is there a way to plug it into the breaker box somehow so I can just turn a few breakers on and power the important stuff?

Things I'd like to be able to power include my natural gas tankless water heater (requires electricity to turn on), refrigerator, stove, and ceiling fans.

Thanks!



Submitted September 01, 2017 at 08:49PM by Arpisti http://ift.tt/2wp5Oug homeowners

No comments:

Post a Comment