Monday, August 21, 2017

Landlord and Maintenance Issues legaladvice

My Fiancee and I have lived in an apartment in the Greater Syracuse Area for almost 3 years now. The place seemed wonderful when we first moved in, but within a few months the first issue came about. We had no power to half of the outlets in our room, and one of the outlets had fused with her phone charger. The maintenance man came by and was unable to fix it for some time, but eventually (a few months later) was able to remedy the situation. After that our oven began to smoke no matter how often we cleaned it. When I mentioned it I was told it would be looked at, but this is still occurring. Next our hot water heater started leaking every time we took a shower or ran the dishwasher. This has been going on for well over a year and the maintenance man always says, "I know I have to take care of the hot water heater, but I've been busy and will get to it as soon as I can." At first I was patient and told him not to worry too much, but it has been over a year. Finally tonight my fiancee and I noticed that our refrigerator was rather warm and everything in our freezer had melted. After cranking the dials on both to see if it was just set too low, the refrigerator is still temping at 60 degrees which will cost us well over $100 in food. I am going to approach my landlord as well as my maintenance man with this, but do I have any legal fallback to ask for a discounted rent or some kind of reparations? We have paid our rent on time every month, but feel as though the other end of the bargain is not being held up. It seems unfair that due to the disrepair of the building that we have lost money, sleep, and quality of life.



Submitted August 22, 2017 at 09:11AM by syracusesteakman http://ift.tt/2v9bPsh legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment