Wednesday, October 26, 2016

Refrigerator is not cooling appliancerepair

First off some info on the fridge: Brand: Roper by Whirlpool Model #: RT21LMXKQ00 MFG. Date: 10-01

Current Diagnosis: Have power and interior lights. Fans are running and I get 2 clicks as if the compressor is attempting to engage that are consistent in time to its normal cycle.

Ok so here's my problem. Wife woke me up early Monday morning because there was smoke in the kitchen and a burnt electrical smell. Wasn't bad enough to set off any of the alarms in the house and all appliances seems to be working fine so I was unsure of the problem. Killed the breaker for the kitchen (old house, entire kitchen is on one breaker) and waited to make sure there was no fire before going back to bed and taking a look in a few hours.

Woke up to the smell still present even though we had fans going and the windows open. Tracked it down to the fridge (Note: no appliances smelt burnt it was a general odor in the room) and pulled the panel and found that the overload had blown and taken the starter switch with it. Not a big deal as I did this once already about 5 years ago, so I ordered the parts and waited.

Parts came in today so I installed everything, plugged the fridge back in and got nothing. This time I only had lights and no fan or compressor, so I pulled the parts back off and noticed some charing and residue from the blown overload switch. I carefully wire brushed the contacts and re-installed the parts this time with moderate success.

It's currently sitting turned on with both lights and fans. Can hear the relay clicking to turn the compressor on but it's not working. I'm hoping it may cycle on eventually but it's starting to look like the fridge is beyond repair. Really trying to avoid getting a new one as we have a galley kitchen and we basically would have to gut the kitchen to get the fridge out to replace it.



Submitted October 27, 2016 at 02:45AM by CrimsonWingedRaven http://ift.tt/2eSA3hC appliancerepair

No comments:

Post a Comment