Saturday, October 22, 2016

Hot honey Canning

I've been experimenting with hot honey. Basically, I just put pureed trinidad scorpion or carolina reaper peppers into honey and cook it on low heat for an hour.

I found that "recipe" online and it says it'll keep for 3 months in the refrigerator. I want to sell it, so that's not going to work for me. I need it to last longer.

I can't find any resources online for canning honey. I have seen recipes in the Ball book and the America's Test Kitchen book for using honey syrup to can fruits, so I figure honey on it's own ought to can just fine, but I can't find any evidence of it.

I've see hot honey sold in stores, so obviously there's a way to make it shelf stable. I know honey will keep for basically forever, but I don't know the effect of adding the hot pepper puree to the mix.

Sorry for the wall of text, but do any of you have any ideas on how I can make the hot honey last long enough to sell at farmers markets?



Submitted October 23, 2016 at 07:06AM by CacheusClay http://ift.tt/2evFwNI Canning

No comments:

Post a Comment