Monday, October 31, 2016

No Power and Broken Fridge - Baden-Wuertemberg, Germany legaladvice

TL;DR - No electricity for a week; broken fridge no replacement; Untrustworthy Landlord

Background: I am a study abroad student living in an off-campus and non-university affiliated housing. I signed a lease in September with two months rent as security deposit. Additionally, I paid all cash upfront for four months (September to December). I have the receipts for rent and security deposits and a copy of the lease.

Problem 1: Electricity was turned off the day after I signed the lease. I was unable to get electricity turned back on until next week. My landlord and leasing agency tried to get me to sign an electrical contract with a provider not in my city. It turns out, the previous tenant did not pay for electricity. I asked for a week of rent back, since I could not properly live in my own apartment for the first week. They say they are not responsible.

Question 1: Am I entitled to a portion of my rent since the electricity was turned off immediately after I moved in?

Problem 2: After the electricity was turned back on, my refrigerator did not work. I texted and called my landlord with no response. This was over three weeks ago. I called the leasing agency to ask for a new refrigerator. They said hopefully they'll get a new one and let me know when it will come in. I have not had a functioning refrigerator this entire time. 

Question 2: Am I entitled to a portion of my rent since there was no functioning refrigerator? 

Problem 3: I am leaving in late December. I do not trust the landlord to give me back the security deposit in cash like he promised. He is unresponsive to almost all of my calls and texts.

Question 3: How can ensure I receive my security deposit back before I leave?

Thank you for your time, I can provide more details if you need. 

TL;DR - No electricity for a week; broken fridge no replacement; Untrustworthy Landlord



Submitted October 31, 2016 at 06:42PM by throwitallaway53i3 http://ift.tt/2eeGsGu legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment