Saturday, October 29, 2016

It's Not Delivery LetsNotMeet

Long-time lurker, first post, you know the drill. I've read so many of these Let's Not Meet posts and didn't even take into account that I could actually post here myself. This happened a year or so ago, so it's not exactly new, but it's a story nonetheless.

I'll preface this by saying I live in an area where encounters that someone could write about here don't really happen that often. I used to like to go on walks in the middle of the night and nothing would happen. I'd see some drunk college students from time to time, but they were mostly harmless. There was no sense of actual danger the entire time.

Across the street from my house is some mom-and-pop appliance store, it isn't very busy but it has two vending machines in front of it. This and its disproportionate parking lot were the only reasons people ever went near there, but every few weeks or so the store would get a delivery so some pickup trucks loaded with dishwashers or refrigerators would park outside for a few hours.

The vending machines were convenient for me, and I'd go over to get a bottle of soda every night to bring to class in the morning. I had been doing this for maybe two weeks at this point. At 1:30, or whenever I would decide to go, there was almost never anyone parked in that lot. Until then, anyway.

Looking out the window, I could see one of the typical white pickups that I'd see there sometimes, but this one didn't have any labels or decoration like the others. Not only that, but no deliveries were scheduled for a while yet. It was parked maybe 40 feet from the machines I was looking for, so I wasn't too worried. That night, I got a soda like usual and went home. I did it a lot more quickly and cautiously, something about this all made me pretty uneasy.

The next night, I got together a little bit of change like usual, just going through the motions. Before I left I remembered why I would have thought twice about it beforehand. I looked outside, and saw the same truck again. Only this time, it was parked one spot closer to the vending machines. I was a little put off, but it was still pretty far away. I was already outside, so I wasn't going back now. I got what I wanted and left immediately.

Finally, I decided to check on the truck before I left. It was parked right next to the machines. I walked outside with a flashlight like I usually would, but I passed on buying a soda. I wanted to see what was up with this truck, so I walked across the street into the parking lot (I was not smart a year ago). This was when I had the bright idea to look in the truck's windows. From a distance, I turned on the flashlight and directed it toward the old pickup. That's when I saw a head quickly duck out of sight.

I was understandably pretty shaken, and I didn't go back out there at night for another few weeks. The truck would continue to park in the same spot for the next couple days, but after that it never came back. Needless to say, I was a lot more careful from then on.



Submitted October 30, 2016 at 01:57AM by EvilRhino229 http://ift.tt/2f0J9dr LetsNotMeet

No comments:

Post a Comment