Wednesday, January 27, 2016

Lab Fridge labrats

My lab is currently looking for a new fridge to store the plethora of media we use for cell culture. I've been tasked with getting quotes from various companies. I'm finding that refrigerators sold by companies like thermo fisher that are designed for research cost around $5000-$7000 dollars depending on the size and manufacturer. Fridges of similar size and made for commercial restaurants only cost about $2000-$3000. Is there a reason for such a high markup for the refrigerators sold by laboratory research suppliers? I'm looking at the specifications online and I'm not noticing any real difference in specifications/capabilities, especially not any differences worth a $3000 markup.

Industrial kitchen fridge

Research Fridge

Thoughts? Are research oriented fridges vastly overpriced or are they worth purchasing? Am I missing something?



Submitted January 28, 2016 at 03:19AM by Skepsis93 http://ift.tt/1JGfofg labrats

No comments:

Post a Comment