Monday, January 25, 2016

Harrowing Dream nosleep

Length Alert!

I was in a car being driven somewhere. My father was behind the wheel when I started to dream, or at least I felt sure I was dreaming after waking up. Around 5p.m., next to me was a male highschool student who was from a country with a name ending with ‘stan’. I was certain of the name until I woke up consciously trying to back-track and remember it. Anyway, he said he had been living in the UK after moving up to Fifth year, and then he came to Korea for the exactly same college I went to. We went outside to go somewhere.My shoes were a bit small and uncomfortable. My heel and toes had to be somehow crushed down into the shoes so I could manage to walk around. It was not long before it soon became dark and even started to rain. Come to think of it, I feel like I was strolling down on the pavement just across the Museum near my house. Not knowing if he brought an umbrella with him, I threw on a 8-pointed camouflage cap. Approaching the college, I did not know if it was the destination. I just felt like we were walking towards it for no exact reason. At least in my dream, there was quite a picturesque imagery being formed, in which every building and its ambience seemed, in some way, similar to a college I dropped out of a few years ago. Part of the reason that I dreamed a similar college could be that I have rarely been to other colleges in my life. We arrived at a restaurant full of people. With little chance not to step on other people’s clothes, we wormed our way through aisles formed by many and many a person on the sitting cushion who was having a steamy meal. There, looking into a big square-shaped mirror as tall as I in the crimson hall, I found myself wearing a military uniform with a proud reserve force insignia as a reservist sergeant. Possibly the reason I came to enter this mysterious restaurant was that it was located on the way to the destination on college premises. We did not come for a meal. I was going somewhere as a company of him since he would get lost otherwise. The whole situation played out as if I was his senior by several years. The interior of the restaurant was very well orientally decorated with mildly warm lighting. Even so, we were not supposed to stay there for long. Either at the corner of wooden corridor or at the point in which the corridor began to diverge, we happened to discover something odd. On top of stomach-high pedestal was a Suiseki. There it was sitting, a small creature. As I got closer, I identified it as a white lizard. I thought it’d be possible to see its veins on its half-transparent skin with a closer look. With its two-digit size, It apparently seemed bad-tempered for whatever reason which might be because we were staring at it in mixed consternation or just because it was trying to protect itself. We did not get our fingers closer to it, for it was moving irritatedly, looking over us without batting an eye, maybe. Well, it didn’t attack us after all. Finally passing the serpentine corridor, we are now getting out. My company was more familiar with the way out. In fact, just like the last time I went to Jongno, I tended to become disoriented when I visited new places. I found myself having lost a basic survival skill – reading a map. My understanding was that it might have resulted either from temporary angst that we would experience some time in our life and just blow over, or some serious symptomatic medical condition that had been left undiagnosed thus far. Or, more worryingly, repeated loss of confidence which was learned by unconsciousness? We had to turn left and right several times to the exit. Near the exit, we could see people sitting at the table, packed like sardines. We had to be cautious lest we mistakenly step on long straight hair of ladies. Being all cooped up, sometimes I would tread on their overcoat or hit their back as I lift up my foot. I don’t remember whether I witnessed any particular emotion of theirs or their general appearance. Would it be because of my unconsciousness suppressing the ideation? Having said that, why would I need to remember or possibly have a second look at their eating hearty meals anyway? Maybe I got a little jealous of their lavish meals in the winter, given that I had the dream in not-so-warm wooden bed. At the near exit, I could also see a few soldiers about five feet ahead, adjusting their own clothes looking in the big mirror. I am not really sure but they might have been fixing their short bangs or something. What is clear is that, as soon as I woke up but still in bed, as I was groping for soon-to-be-vanishing imageries, I found out that, unlike most of typical dreams, I managed to retain some of the details and general pictures which then raised one of the most harrowing feelings. Consequently, in my opinion, of all the meaningful symbols and motifs presented in my dream, I or some readers of this chronicle might be able to grasp implication, and as for me it will be done as a process of individuation. By the way, I have to confess here, that the reason I woke up from the dream was not just because the time has passed, but because I found the dream exceptionally horrific as I regained my consciousness. It took some time to get up and about. Once we were out, we headed to the toilet. The little guy seemed to want to go to the restroom. It was elevated a half dozen feet, built with concrete from the ground, which I found peculiar. I saw some highschool friends inside. They were my school mates I lived close to each other in dormitory. It seemed that they all went to the same college I went to. They did not appear to recognise me since I was in military uniform and a cap. As we were soon leaving, I did not have enough time to say hello to all, however glad I felt to see them there. I concealed my shame as well as sheer delight. I saw, among them, a few bullies too, who used to pick on me for what little mistake I inadvertently made. It did hurt me somehow back then but is not that I still harbour a grudge against them. I already almost forgot what happened at that time. Additionally and admittedly, I also had a prick of conscience too, when I found it difficult to mix with other people while blaming others for their lack of care towards people like me. How can you always spurn those people who look like little babies when they nodded off on the desk during class, just because they bullied you? I can’t exactly recall their names but I do remember one right swashbuckler whose face often faintly reminded me of Mr. Freeze in ‘Batman & Robin’ when he was outside for long in cold weather particularly so after playing soccer. He was shorter than me yet short-tempered. No pun intended. Also, he was as bad-mouthed as his close friends. One of the things I admired him for was his indifference towards his own deep internal problem. His academic performance improved as he seemed to get a grip on himself. Moving on, we entered another building in order to submit a document which I don’t know about. I assume it was either my company’s application form for entrance or just mine. Since we were late at the time we arrived, there was no one in charge. We left the document on a desk and went out. As for me, I was still wearing the same uncomfortable shoes. There was such a scenic view outside with the Moon high up in the sky cloaked in few clouds. What were actually more imposing were piles of edifices that appeared to be endless into the distance. I don’t quite remember what we talked about in detail. However, as we trudged down slanted uneven path, I got to know he had decided to enter Korean college after spending years in the UK. He neither looked asian nor Caucasian. I’d rather say he looked mixed. With fair complexion, he sounded to me as if he had yet to reach puberty, given his voice. I just concluded this boy was such a whiz that he has prepared to enter a college earlier than others. Or maybe he was just a new recruit I was in charge of in the military. Next, we found ourselves in a familiar place. It looked like one of those antique buildings in Gyeongbokgung Palace. I asked this nameless fella if he ever came there before. I wished to show him around a few places before going home since it is a tourist destination. The same went for the restaurant. We ate nothing but we just wanted to explore somewhere different on the way. To be honest, I know it might be just I that wanted to explore those places. That is why I notified him that we were just going in to look around for a short while. His answer was indistinctive so that I could hardly hear it. But I felt in his voice that he must have been here or seen somewhere like this in pictures. Then we made our long way home, surrounded with ancient buildings on a plaza of open space at an unfathomable altitude. Then suddenly, I lost track of time and space topsy-turvy. When I realised, in the dream, that I was somewhere, still muddled, I could feel an element of temperate climate. In addition, shimmering façade in the distance and the temperate you might expect from a scorcher in summer, and that at around 2p.m., almost free of cloud. It was as if I was saved from cold waves sweeping across Northern hemisphere. At that point, I found out that it was a hodgepodge of the college and the ancient palace, the scale of which were bigger than La Défense in Paris, with countless waves of college buildings that were beyond my guessing their ages. One of those main gates turned into a faculty building. And again, it hit us that we were at a very high altitude for a college to be in. Somewhere near the edges, there must be cliffs. Clearly, we seemed to be standing on top of a big structure or maybe an enormous rooftop garden? I was sure that the cliff must be at least a few hundreds feet high. Then we encountered a catastrophic blow. On top of a relatively close building which I still find it hard to speculate about its age, one or two people appeared on the edge of greenish rooftop football field with no fence and this caught our eyes. Moreover, they were somehow showing off their acrobatic prowess where they should not be doing it. The whole scene played out as if we were all watching it with binoculars. While we, including other people watch them worriedly, one of them, as if he lost balance or he did it on purpose, he fell. it was so sudden and unexpected that I was just speechless with my eyebrows distorted, still gaping at it, and trying to make a logic out of it. At the same time, I could hear women screaming their lungs out behind me. It was absolutely horrible. We were watching him fall towards the ground. On a side note, three things made it even more gruesome. Firstly, it was something the little guy I had been with said. The fella turned his upper body to me with the most broad smile I would expect from him, grinning from ear to ear and said “Now, Compensation!”. He probably heard a big thud as the dancing guy fell on the ground and he thought something under there was hit. Secondly, while I was trying to desensitize myself, the one that was still dancing threw himself out, so disgustingly yet unbelievably graciously. It was just nonsense. I felt sick. My tongue started to feel dry. Things began to turn abysmal. We did not know in what way people could turn up, one by one on the roof, throwing themselves into the invisible ground. “Not again! They keep falling!,” lamented a young man. Chaotic reactions ensued. Thirdly, something crossed to my mind that it was time that I jumped too. In actual fact, we were standing as close to the edge as ‘the first acrobat.’ As if we would spring to our feet to get some drinks out of the refrigerator while watching TV, I could do the same, allowing myself to be at last ease, experiencing zero gravity during 8 seconds of free fall. My heart was beginning to race as I stare at the edge to jump from. While I was busy staring at it in utter bewilderment, people on that building, one by one, began to jump off the top at an appalling interval. I assumed that this was caused by overwhelming psychological stress they had gone through at college and also felt awful because this little guy was watching the whole thing, not long after he put in for his college admission. At the same time, I hoped this friend would not make a snap judgment on the incident. My head was reeling and my breath irregular. What made me linger over the recovery from this unpleasant dream was the apparent absurdity. Even now, to me, it seems to present my unconsciousness covered in rubble, awaiting my due attention.



Submitted January 26, 2016 at 03:33AM by drippingballsack http://ift.tt/1Un4knC nosleep

No comments:

Post a Comment