Tuesday, January 26, 2016

A big step for me stopdrinking

So I've hit a milestone in my sobriety, and I wanted to share my success with others to show that it can in fact get better. Last December, after I'd been sober for over four years, I told my wife that if she wanted to keep some alcohol in the house, like a bottle of wine, that would be fine with me. We proceeded to bring home a couple of bottles of hard cider that she had at a new years eve party. They stayed in our refrigerator, which I access frequently, for a couple of weeks. In that time I could've easily drank one, or both, but it never even occurred to me. She has since drank them while I was cooking on two nights, and it didn't bother me at all.

The turning point for me was when I realized that I wasn't staying sober because I don't have alcohol in the house; I could have easily run out and got some. I was staying sober because it was my choice to not drink. Once I realized that things just fell into place.

I hope that my success can inspire others. You can do it; I'm living proof.

My name is Andrew, and I am an alcoholic.



Submitted January 27, 2016 at 11:25AM by schwagner http://ift.tt/1PCPAmt stopdrinking

No comments:

Post a Comment