Sunday, September 3, 2017

Question about homemade hot sauce, canning, thickness. Canning

I made a fermented jalapeno hot sauce awhile back. The flavor was good, but the consistency was watery and it would separate. I would like the thickness to be more like a Tabasco or Texas Pete hot sauce. Also, I was keeping it in the refrigerator, but would like to can it and make it shelf stable. So, my questions are, should I use some thickener, like carrageenan or guar gum? I've never used anything like those before. At what point in the process would a thickener be added? Would a thickener also keep the sauce emulsified? Finally, I assume that normal hot sauces can be hot water bath canned...head space and how long for 1/2 pint jars? Thanks, in advance, for any help!



Submitted September 03, 2017 at 08:28PM by MMMFoodies http://ift.tt/2vVSNVz Canning

No comments:

Post a Comment