Tuesday, September 5, 2017

Generator capacity/start up order? preppers

Please let me know if I should post this somewhere else. I've got our food/water/medical needs well covered for Irma. Where I am are evacuation is not an issue. So that leaves power, beyond the batteries. We went through 2 weeks combined power outage with Charley, Frances, Jean and Ivan in 2004 with a generator borrowed from my parents, which we figured out how to use then with trial and error and lots of frustration. We have a new one of our own and I'd like to be more prepared, plus it's been a long time. It runs great, have gas, oil and siphon with extra cans of gas and all car tanks full. Have plenty of extension cords so we can place it away from the house and a CO2 detector as well. What I need help with is calculating what needs to be plugged in when, and how much can be plugged in. I just can't make sense of the calculators I'm finding online.

Our generator is a Champion 46595 3000 watts This is what I'd like to connect and when: *REFRIGERATOR HOUSE 115v 5amp 24 HRS? (Do they need to run all the time?) *REFRIGERATOR GARAGE 115v 6.5amp 24 HRS? (2nd fridge-we helped our neighbors without generators last time) *BOX FAN to move A/C air ?v ?amp 24 HRS (Cheap Wal-Mart style box fan) *KITCHEN A/C 8000BTU 115v 6amp DAY ONLY-12 hrs (WATTS INPUT 660 from label) *4 LIGHTS (incandescant) ?v ?amp Evening (Plug in lights, regular 60watt bulbs) *SUMP PUMP 1/4 hp 115v 8.5amp EMERGENCY ONLY-to lower level of pool if flooding *BEDROOM A/C 8000BTU 115v 6amp NIGHT ONLY-12 hrs (WATTS INPUT 660 from label) *CPAP 110v 2.5amp NIGHT ONLY-10 hrs *CHARGING DEVICES ?v ?amp NIGHT (6 cell phones/tablets-all have regular wall plugs-will use power strip)

I don't know how to convert volts and amps to watts, if that is even what needs to happen. I don't know what the volts, amps or watts would be for the lights, cell phones or tablets either. I'm trying to figure out if we can run those listed above at the times listed above, and if we need to narrow the list. I'm thinking I remember that one of our main issues was with having to start/plug in things in a certain order. Can anyone help? TIA



Submitted September 06, 2017 at 01:24AM by justme_mb http://ift.tt/2f0tX1k preppers

No comments:

Post a Comment