Saturday, September 2, 2017

Can someone explain the comparative strength of household magnets? askscience

I'm interested in making household (i.e., refrigerator) magnets as a craft project by gluing some gewgaw to a plain, ordinary magnet. The plasticky "magnet tape" is notoriously weak, and the hard black ones are too big, so I ended up with some neodymium magnets from the hardware store. After some reading, I am worried that these are too strong and may be difficult to remove from a refrigerator without tearing off the gewgaw. Internet research is just getting me a lot of industrial supply company FAQs and Wikipedia articles with tesla measurements. I don't even know what a tesla is a function of: mass of the magnet? area of the pole? something more esoteric? I would appreciate a quick-n-dirty guide comparing household magnet types in some sort of strength-for-size way. Thank you!



Submitted September 03, 2017 at 06:48AM by SciviasKnows http://ift.tt/2vUW7Af askscience

No comments:

Post a Comment