Thursday, August 17, 2017

Garage GFCI circuit tripping, could you guys give me a good idea why? electricians

OK, so right off the bat I'm going to say this: I've got too much shit in my garage. So I'm looking for a temporary solution, but I know the permanent solution is to get another dedicated circuit installed. I've got a rudimentary understanding of this stuff, but just enough to be dangerous, so I'm turning to the experts here.

In my garage, I have a small chest freezer (5.5 cubic feet) in addition to a standard full size refrigerator (which is honestly pretty old). Different outlets, but the same circuit. I'm aware that having both of these is probably pushing it, but things have been fine for a few weeks (and they were fine for about 3 or 4 months last year when I had this fridge and an upright freezer plugged in). Probably because I've never done much in the garage in the way of using tools. The freezer is plugged into a GFCI outlet, but the rest of the outlets are regular outlets.

Today I used my miter saw, plugged into a third outlet in the garage (still the same circuit). It was fine for an hour or so, but eventually the circuit tripped. Fine, I moved the miter saw outside to a different circuit, but the GFCI outlet is still tripping when I plug the fridge in.

I'm aware the best course of action is to get an electrician out here to install a dedicated outlet for the fridge on it's own circuit, but that's not happening for a bit. Short of that, I'm wondering what to do. Will things return to normal after a sort of cool down period and I can plug the fridge back in and be OK as long as I don't use any power tools? could the fridge just be on it's last legs? Do I need to just bite the bullet and get a dedicated outlet installed?

Thanks a lot for any help you can give me.



Submitted August 18, 2017 at 02:58AM by Dandw12786 http://ift.tt/2vHrbGQ electricians

No comments:

Post a Comment