Sunday, August 20, 2017

Black crud on jar of pickled goods AskCulinary

A few months ago I pickled some vegetables in a salt brine. I ate some of the batch and then forgot about the jars, leaving them in the back of my refrigerator. I just pulled them out and I can't tell whether they are still safe to eat.

In the a jar of onions, on the lid of the jar (which wasn't touching the brine) and on the sides above the water level, were a few splotches of what sort of has the texture of wine sediment but which is a dark grey, almost black. Since everything smelled fine I tried the onions and they still taste fine.

In the other jar, the lid almost looked rusted, I think possibly from the same substance. I can smudge the discoloration away so I'm guessing it's not rust. There also is similar sediment between the grooves that the lid would screw onto. Again the contents of this jar (fermented pickles/garlic) smells fine although I haven't eaten it yet.

Can anyone tell me what I might be looking at and whether I should throw this out?



Submitted August 20, 2017 at 09:48PM by hottotr0t http://ift.tt/2uV0qQN AskCulinary

No comments:

Post a Comment