Saturday, June 24, 2017

(AZ, NM) Landlord refuses to return security deposit legaladvice

Long story short...I moved out of a house I was renting in Arizona on April 30th. I currently live in New Mexico. The house that I was renting in Arizona was run by a property management group, and I requested that one of their employees be their on our last day for a walk through, a request that they refused. Right before we hit the road for New Mexico I took a video of the inside of the house showing how clean it was. The property management company had requested that we mail the keys back to them. Due to the chaos of moving to a new state, that wasn't done until May 9th. On June 1st I still hadn't heard back from them about our $937.50 deposit. According to Arizona law, they had 14 days to either return my deposit or explain why they were deducting from it, and we were obviously way outside that. I emailed the property management company asking about the deposit and got a helluva response. They claim that they never got the key, and therefore hadn't gone in to inspect the property until the end of May. When they did apparently somebody had broken into the house and trashed it, while at the same time stealing the refrigerator and some light fixtures. They claim since they never got the key that I still had physical possession of the house, despite the fact I was 600 miles away, and therefore they were keeping my entire deposit and would be sending me a bill on top of that for the damage to the house. I sent them a demand letter for the deposit on June 1st and didn't hear back from them until today. They claim that they mailed me a letter on the 14th with a detailed list of the damages they claim I own and that it was returned as undeliverable. The address they sent it to is in fact the one I live at, but I haven't gotten the letter, and they claimed that the clock on the 14 days didn't start until June 1st. So, two questions. When did the clock on the 14 days start? It was made very clear to them that I was moving out on April 30th, and I have email proof of this. I sent them the key through regular mail, and I have no idea why they didn't get it. If the clock did start on the 1st, does it matter that I haven't gotten the letter yet even though they mailed it within the legal time period?

Edit: I now have a tracking number for the letter through USPS. Their website confirms that it was mailed on the 14th of June, however it was marked as "Undeliverable as addressed" and returned to the sender on June 17th. If they made a mistake in addressing the letter does that affect the 14 day limit?"



Submitted June 24, 2017 at 09:55PM by deposit_question http://ift.tt/2sCKy2g legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment