Thursday, June 29, 2017

Need help deciding on a kegerator Homebrewing

Looking for opinions here. My 4.4 Danby DIY kegerator broke (drilled into a line accidentally), so I'm in the market to replace, and trying to decide between DIY-ing another or buying pre-built, so it could fit a keg inside.

Don't really want to go with another keezer, looking to downsize and would rarely, if ever, have three beers ready to tap.

The tower I have now is a DIY situation, PVC pipe. Works decent enough, not super stable, but it's got perlick faucets on it. Already have a 5lb tank and dual regulator. I'd like to have two taps on the new one, however it's created.

So I need help deciding, good people of the world.

DIY

Pros

  • Cheaper (~200 for the fridge, another ~120 more if i replace the tower)
  • More temperature control (although I could wire into the compressor on a pre-built model)
  • The "i made this" factor

Cons

  • More work/possibility to fuck it up
  • Harder to clean (making sure no moisture/nasties get into the foam/inside the door
  • Can't fit bigger keg configurations (no half barrels, no quarter barrels, and 2 pinlocks requires modification on the side panels)

Buying

Pros

  • It just works
  • Could sell the extra stuff that comes with (co2 tank, regulator, sankey coupler, cheap faucets) to make a little bit of it back
  • Can fit a wider range of beers in there

Cons

  • More expensive
  • Trying to figure out which kegerator to buy, every model seems to have some bad apples in it

So I'm back and forth. Just got a bonus at my job and a freelance gig, so I have the money for either, I think... But can't make up my mind. Someone convince me.

Edit: Or another option, apparently Edgestar sells their ultra low temp fridge, no tower/tapping/etc for $319 at walmart. Add a stainless tower for $100 and i'm out the door for $419?



Submitted June 29, 2017 at 10:18PM by bfinleyui http://ift.tt/2t5DqtV Homebrewing

No comments:

Post a Comment