Thursday, June 29, 2017

A Break Gone Wrong TalesFromRetail

Background: I worked at a supermarket a while back as a janitor/bagperson. It was my job during the evening shift, among others, to clean any and all messes and spills that happened in the store.

Several of my coworkers started complaining at the start of my shift about a smell of raw sewage coming from the break room and the back area by the walk in refrigerators. My manager and I went to investigate. A leak had formed and sewage was leaking from the ceiling forming a pool of nasty brown colored water in the back corridor and the room itself. The smell was absolutely horrible. My manager called in an emergency work order and we put buckets and paper towels down to catch the leaks. It was obvious that a pipe had broken from the employee restrooms upstairs and was leaking sewage everywhere.

Still employees needed to brace the stench to get to their food and belongings inside. Aside from the many drips, a bulge had appeared in a panel of the break room's drop ceiling. As my shift went by the bulge got larger and larger.

Unfortunately, at peak bulge one of my coworkers took his lunch break. Braving the stench, he went to the fridge to get his food and most likely find somewhere outside to eat. Just as he was walking out the drop ceiling panel collapsed on top of his head. He was covered head to toe in sewage. Several lockers must have been flooded. Instead of enjoying his lunch he got to go home and change because he was covered in human waste.

Later in the evening the plumber finally arrived and fixed the broken pipe. I made sure to mop the break room with bleach. The drop ceiling panel that gave way was never replaced, forever exposing the guilty pipe.

TL;DR: My coworker was covered in sewage on his lunch hour from a broken pipe in the ceiling.



Submitted June 30, 2017 at 10:56AM by glasses_the_loc http://ift.tt/2ssFR8a TalesFromRetail

No comments:

Post a Comment