Thursday, June 16, 2016

Maytag refrigerator coils freezing! fixit

Hi everyone! I was hoping to get some advice on my fridge problem. I've done a little bit of homework and think I'm in the right direction.

Situation:

I have a Maytag MBF2258XEB1 where the evaporator coils constantly freeze every 1-2 months. Once I unplug and let the coils defrost everything works great (freezer at 0° and fridge around 35°) until the ice forms again and it goes warm in the fridge section. I've already tested the evaporator fan and it runs fine, fast with no noise, same for the condenser fan. The damper appears to open just fine as I can feel air coming into the fridge. I've cleaned all dust from the bottom and sides of fridge and off the coils. The drain seemed a little slow but I think that might just be chunks of ice falling from the coils as I used a hair dryer to quickly defrost so I could locate the heating elements. I'll throw some hot water in there tomorrow to clean/test it's draining abilities tomorrow. I've located the heater element and thermostat and will test for continuity tomorrow (I left my multimeter at a friends house). Does this sound correct to you? Is there anything else that I should be checking? Another problem I noticed is that the defrost thermostat appears to be hard wired into the harness (no clip). How would I test for continuity with it still wired to everything else? Do I need to cut it out, test and/or replace, then splice it back in?



Submitted June 17, 2016 at 07:48AM by Jestible http://ift.tt/1UcfDOt fixit

No comments:

Post a Comment