Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Envisioning the Past: How? AskHistorians

As I read more about history, I find myself being unable to retain a lot of the information. I've been trying to put it into a context, but I'm finding it difficult. For example: I love to hear stories about my grandfather fishing with his grandfather, how they would have an "ice chest" because refrigerators were not invented yet, and how his mother would wash clothes in a tub outside because she didn't have a washing machine. Obviously, I understand these things but I can't picture it. Everyday life was so different just 50 years ago--how can I truly understand? My college has a rich history, and I toured the mansion on the grounds. I was in this house, but I couldn't understand how they lived. How did they cook? How did they bathe? What was everyday life like? How did Hitler iron his clothes? How did people cut their hair before scissors? How do I answer questions like these?

Along this same vein, I also find it hard to wrap my head around the fact that history, to me, was modern and new to those living it. When I look at a lamp from the early 1900's I think "wow, that's so cool! It's so old and different!" But to the people who had that lamp, it was just like the lamp I have in my room right now. I've approached history learning with this backwards-looking approach, as in it's hard for me to imagine things as they were at the time. I can only understand it as it is now: old. But I want to try to think of it the way people in that time period did: as everyday, normal life.

So, I guess my question is: how can I really understand how people lived in the past?

I've been thinking that, once virtual reality really takes off, historians could use this to "recreate" historical places and atmospheres. This would be such a great learning tool!! So my other question is: can you suggest good, interactive ways to learn about history?



Submitted February 03, 2016 at 09:52PM by donaldtriumph69 http://ift.tt/1VMcQwF AskHistorians

No comments:

Post a Comment