Monday, May 22, 2017

Traveling when you're accustomed to a high veggie, high volume, & high fiber diet. Advice sought. 1200isplenty

Title says it! I'll be out of town for 4 days at a conference, limited luggage space, no refrigerator or convenient microwave access. Let's be honest, I will also be giving in to the temptation of foods I normally don't have access to (Halo Top! Trader Joe's! Restaurants that aren't diners! Middle Eastern and Southeast Indian meals I don't have to make myself!). Add to this a change in schedule and activity patterns. Oh and Clue says PMS highly likely.

TMI ahead: Every time this confluence of factors occurs, my body passively protests by holding all the food in. For days. I want to be and look calm and collected in a pencil skirt, but I look and feel like like a snake that ate a goat. Last conference was so bad that I had trouble bending at the waist to tie my shoes. and I kinda waddled. I was technically getting enough fiber from gummies, Fiber one, and such but I think all it did was increase bloat and gas. I get tons of fiber normally, but naturally occuring in food...

My husband jokes that my body is accustomed to buckets of greens and addicted to fiber, and won't accept anything less than my high-maintenance at-home diet. That's after he stops staring and asking if I'm sure I'm not pregnant. I'm tired of packing nice professional clothes that fit but also "no food baby to see here folks" baggy alternatives every time I leave town.

Who else gets this? How do you cope?

What can I bring or do to help? I have Mama Chia squeeze pouches, access to inulin / Polydextrose / whole psyllium husks that I can turn into makeshift supplements. I'll definitely buy some fruit for my room. Also, pre-popped low fat popcorn. Missing some high bulk greenery -- any canned veg I should aim for? (In an ideal world I'd get high fiber-to-calorie ratio snacks so I have calorie wiggle room to enjoy the cosmopolitan food access.)



Submitted May 23, 2017 at 12:53AM by mtdmaven http://ift.tt/2rLWmwb 1200isplenty

No comments:

Post a Comment