Sunday, May 21, 2017

GFI Outlet failed, again. Why? homeowners

I tried googling the problem, but couldn't find my problem. I have a GFI in my kitchen. It's the same circuit as my refrigerator. About a year about the GFI made a loud buzzing noise and then POPPED. A little smoke came out and I couldn't reset the GFI. I did not have to reset the breaker. My father in law is an electrician and he replaced the outlet with a brand new GFI outlet. After a quick inspection of the outlet box, he determined that it was most likely caused by a faulty part in the GFI.

Today, the same thing happened. A loud buzzing for close to 10 seconds and a POP. Then some smoke and, for the lack of a better description, an electric burning smell. Again, the circuit did not need to be reset. I pulled the GFI out and there is no moisture. Does anyone happen to know why the same GFI outlet is failing?



Submitted May 22, 2017 at 06:35AM by Captain_Steve_Hiller http://ift.tt/2rrROhO homeowners

No comments:

Post a Comment