Tuesday, November 8, 2016

What is my thermo professor asking us to do for this take home quiz? EngineeringStudents

Okay so this sounds kind of stupid but I am at a loss for what she wants and she doesn't speak English very well and I'm afraid to ask for clarification because her explanations tend to leave more questions than answers, and has been hostile in the past. We were given a packet which describes a basic refrigeration cycle and says to have the outside of the refrigerator as 293.15 K and the inside at 277.15 K. The following is the quiz

Based on the introduction of the household refrigerator,  do the following to finish the quiz:

1). draw the PV phase diagram to show the four steps of the cycle done by the refrigerator; list the proceedings in each step;

2). write down the equation to calculate the efficiency of the refrigerator.

How do we draw a phase diagram without knowing what the refrigerant is? Am I just being stupid? Also, when drawing a phase diagram for a cycle, do you just draw the PV diagram for the cycle on top of the phase diagram? We've not gone over that and it's not in our book. Second, what are the proceedings? Is she referring to problem 2, and she wants us to do that for every step, or is it a thermodynamic term? I tried googling it but all that comes up is stuff from the royal society.

Am I being stupid or do I need to just suck it up and email her asking for clarification? I know she is self conscious about her English skills, and don't want to piss her off by asking what she wants, especially if I'm just being a dumbass and not understanding something simple. I just hate this type of situation so much because I don't want to be the asshole who doesn't even try to understand someone because they're foreign.



Submitted November 09, 2016 at 08:09AM by Nowhere_Man_Forever https://www.reddit.com/r/EngineeringStudents/comments/5bxt1q/what_is_my_thermo_professor_asking_us_to_do_for/?ref=search_posts&utm_source=ifttt EngineeringStudents

No comments:

Post a Comment