Wednesday, November 23, 2016

The Breastmilk Incident: Why my Boss is a Boss childfree

Hey all.

So I didn't expect my last post to blow up like that, but many people pointed out that my GM is awesome.

And you're right.

He is.

So I thought I'd talk him up some more, and regale you with a previous incident that involved another mombie and my boss being amazing.

~ ~ Time travel back three months ~ ~

So once again, I was working the front desk of my hotel and we had a lady check in who didn't have her kids with her, but we were able to pin her as a mombie right away anyways.

She was here for a conference, and was staying with us for two nights. Apparently she had just pooped out another crotchling because she asked if we had a refrigerator in the room to store breastmilk. No judgement on that. People breastfeed, and have to travel. Whatever.

Well, we do have mini-fridges in our rooms, but like most hotel's, it's part of the minibar. We offer to have the items inside removed so she could use it, and she agreed and went on her merry way.

For a minute.

Well, of course the mini-fridge wasn't adequate. It didn't get cold enough.

Now, I obviously don't have kids, and although I have breasts, they're for ornamentation. So I know nothing about storing breast milk and what temperature is "adequate." I would assume it would be the same as cow's milk, which can be stored in our fridges, no problem.

Apparently, that's not good enough. She needs it to freeze. Well, we have mini "Fridges" but not mini "freezers."

No worries. We've run into situations like this before where we've had to store a guest's personal frozen items in our break-room freezer. We tell her we don't have a mini-fridge cold enough, but we'd be more than happy to take it down to our break room and store it in the (perfectly adequate and rarely used) freezer.

Well, that's not good enough either. She wants a freezer IN her room. Now, I'm good, but I'm not magic. I can't make a mini-fridge turn into a mini-freezer. And neither can my engineer (I asked). So I have to break it to her that unfortunately that was our only option.

Cue RAGE FIT.

Mombie: You don't understand! I have to pump FOUR times a DAY!!! Are you telling me I have to bring it to the desk EVERY TIME?

Me: I'm sorry, I understand the inconvenience. But I'd be more than happy to send my bellman up to the room to bring it down for you.

Mombie: But they're MEN!!!! Do you know how embarrassing that is!?!?!?!

Ok, so here's the thing. Yes. My bellmen are all men. And all five of them have children. (And are all people-parents, thank god. Not once have I had to rearrange a schedule because of Snotleigh's surprise recital. They request for these events WELL in advance.) And they are the epitome of respectful, but ok. I guess it's a little embarrassing.

Me: I understand. If it makes you feel better, I would be more than happy to arrange a female staff member to do it.

Mombie: NO!!! I want a freezer in my room!!

Me: Unfortunately we don't have freezers we can have delivered to the room. We only have the full sized refrigerator with a freezer in the break room.

Mombie: Well then bring that up!!!!

Ok. I am NOT going to tell the entire hotel staff that they can't have a fridge for their lunches so ONE guest can store breast milk in it. Nor am I going to ask our engineer to lug a full-sized fridge up eight floors to her room.

Me: I'm sorry ma'am. But we aren't able to move that refrigerator.

Mombie: You are SO unhelpful!!!!

There's that word again.

Well, I thought I'd heard the end of it until two hours later, she comes down to the desk with a ratty old shoe box. (It looks an awful lot like another shoebox reddit is familiar with. You know the one.)

She then proceeds to take out two bottles and begin angrily pouring the contents into baggies RIGHT THERE AT THE DESK.

Mombie: This is SO embarrasing! I can't believe you're making me do this?

Me and my first-day trainee are just silent, both wondering why the hell, if it's so embarrassing, is she doing this at the front desk.

She throws the baggies into the shoebox and slams it on the desk.

Mombie: You'd better take care of this. This is horrible. I'm going to talk to the manager about this in the morning!!!

Jokes on you. I'm the manager.

My trainee, not knowing what else to do, wishes her a good night, and then shrinks back as Mombie just stares daggers at her before stalking back over to the elevator.

Now that the song and dance with angry Mombie is over, the trainee asks if she wants me to take it to the freezer. I tell her no, I'll do it myself. She can relax for a bit.

So I slide the box towards me and wouldn't you know... She didn't seal the baggies.

I immediatley go for damage control, throw open the box and try to upright the leaking bags, to little avail. Most of the breastmilk was now spilled on my desk, ruining my paperwork and soaking through my shirt. I close the baggies as best I can without throwing the shoe box in a rage and call for housekeeping to help us clean up the mess.

He's there almost instantly, sees the mess and asks what it is. My trainee responds with "breastmilk." He stares at me and then bursts out laughing.

Now I'll admit, had I not been covered in the stuff, I might have found it a bit funny. But I was just grossed out and thinking about how it would be another 5 hours before I got to go home and change and lamenting that I didn't have a spare shirt.

He starts to clean up the mess, and I dig through my drawer to find some mini-binder clips to seal what little milk was left in the baggies.

And who do you suppose walks around the corner? if you guessed Breastmilk Mombie, you'd be correct. Bitch had forgotten to grab her key before storming down to make a scene.

Now she comes around the corner, there's obviously milk everywhere, and me, holding the box, soaked.

She doesn't even use WORDS to yell at me and just screams incoherently, bursting in to tears, occasionally getting something intelligible out like: "Ruined!" or "Bitch" or "...on purpose!!!" while my trainee tries to explain that the bags were left open, to no avail. (I told her to shut up, because it was honestly making it worse.)

Ok. I get the Mombie being upset. I mean, this was food for her kid. And most of it was, at this point, soaking through my clothes and dripping into my socks. But SHE was the one who hadn't sealed the bags. SHE was the one who decided to make a show out of transferring the milk to the baggies at the desk instead of doing it in her room. And SHE was the one who used language at my trainee that normally would have warranted an eviction.

And I was the one who was going to have to work the next 5 hours covered in her tit-juice. If ANYONE had the right to cry over spilled milk, it was me.

After her blubbering for a full five minutes, I cut her a new key, told her I was puting what was left of the milk in the freezer and made my escape.

She was gone by the time I got back, leaving only my trainee and my housekeeper trying to muffle their snickering.

Anywhoo, no problems with the rest of her stay. I left my staff to deal with her, mainly because if I had gotten any more involved, it would have just made things worse, and wrote an email to my GM, letting him know what happened.

And then came the email. OF COURSE she sent an email.

Luckily she didn't email Corporate, and sent it to the "Contact Us!" link on our webpage, which goes directly to me, my staff and the GM.

I don't have the email anymore because it was too long ago, but it was essentially the following:

I was rude and disrespectful. (Wasn't)

I didn't even TRY to help her. (Bitch, I had my engineer check EVERY minifridge in EVERY vacant room in hopes to find one that would get to freezing temperatures.)

I was condescending. (Nope)

I swore at her. (I swear. A lot. Just not at work.)

I purposefully spilled her breastmilk. (On myself?)

And I should be fired immediately! (Uh...)

Well because she already hated me, I knew contacting her back wasn't the right thing to do. So I asked my GM to handle the situation and explained why. It was a busy day, so I didn't get to speak with him for a while, but he already knew the story from my previous email to him. Later on, in between my (literal) running around, I ran in to him as I was jogging up the staircase from the executive offices.

Me: Did you get the email?

GM: Yep.

Me: You responded, right?

GM: I did. But I don't think she'll be staying with us again.

Me: So... I'm getting fired later, right?

GM: As long as you're aware.

Me: Well, it was a pleasure working for you.

GM: Yep. See you around.

And he never said another thing to me about it again.

Spoiler alert: I didn't get fired.



Submitted November 24, 2016 at 04:48AM by sig863 http://ift.tt/2giEM0J childfree

No comments:

Post a Comment