I will try to keep it brief.
We signed a lease a few days before for the start of the month. We walked through the house once while the owner was living there and thought it was great. On the 1st we met with the owner to do a walk through and get keys. When we got to the kitchen we realized there was a severe roach infestation. They were in the fridge and all the appliances. The owner had just moved out of the house.
The owner left and we immediately called her after discovering roaches in other parts of the house. We requested an exterminator and she agreed to pay. The exterminator told us to wait 2 weeks for the follow up before moving to avoid roaches invading our belongings. We went back and the roaches are still alive and we have not moved in our belongings.
At this point it has been 8 days there are dead/living roaches everywhere and on all the surfaces and in the refrigerator.
At this point we want to get a refund of our deposit and 1st months rent and move on.
We have everything in writing and have been taking pictures. We have let her know the health risks associated with this type of infestation but she seems to think it's not that bad.
I have never lived in an infested space and I don't plan on starting. How do I go about breaking this lease? Has she breached contract and mislead us knowing there was a presixisting condition?
Advice?
Tldr : New house lease previously occupied by the owner. Walk though with owner on the first day revealed unhealthy german roach infestation. We have not moved in belongings following exterminators recommendation. 8 days have passed roaches still alive can I break get back deposit/rent break lease?
Submitted November 09, 2016 at 09:49AM by baha_in_hou2 https://www.reddit.com/r/legaladvice/comments/5byci1/break_tx_lease_before_move_in_preexisting_health/?ref=search_posts&utm_source=ifttt legaladvice
No comments:
Post a Comment