Sunday, August 28, 2016

Elixir ELX-30 built-in battery charger issue ** RESOLVED ** GoRVing

After 3 "bad batteries" in less than 8 months, I realized that my Elixir ELX-30 had a bad charger. I have a Starcraft pop-up trailer. My issue: a bad charger, and I didn't want to have to replace the entire ELX-30 as they are discontinued and the "replacement" is bigger and would not work as well in the trailer. Solution: buy a super nice battery charger from Amazon (NOCO Genius G3500) and disconnect the current battery charger.

The installation of the NOCO was easy. It worked as expected. But when I tried to find out how to disconnect the Elixir battery charger, I was stumped. The install instructions were very basic and didn't have any information on how to disable the Exixir's charger without totally isolating the battery. The charger was somehow connected to one of the breakers and if I turned that breaker off, the Elixer's charger would stop working, but so would 2 outlets, and the 120v to the refrigerator.

I finally figured it out. I removed the Elixir and traced the breaker's wire to the top of the unit (there is a removable metal plate). In there, that wire was connnected to 2 wires going out of the unit, and 1 wire going inside the unit. I made an assumption that the wire going inside the unit was for the charger. I removed that wire from the wire nut and PRESTO, I had power to the refrigerator, the 2 outlets, but NOT the Elixir's charger. I tested everything and it seems to be working great.

I hope this helps others. I've seen many posts on forums about doing this, but no one posted the final result and how to do it.

tl;dr - disconnnected the charger 120v supply from the wirenut under the plate on the top of the unit to disable the build-in charger.



Submitted August 29, 2016 at 12:28AM by mjoseph998 http://ift.tt/2bJQIHM GoRVing

No comments:

Post a Comment