Saturday, August 27, 2016

I just read that cold cannot be created, only heat can. This makes no sense to me, as air conditioners pump out cold air. Can someone please explain? askscience

I read in an article that cold cannot be created and it's apparently a law of thermodynamics. The article said this: "It’s a general thermodynamic fact (a law even!) that generating cold is impossible. You can generate heat, and you can move it around by taking advantage of the fact that heat always tries to “even out”"

So refrigerators work by "sucking" the heat out, making it cold. But air conditioners, you can actually feel air blowing at you, not air being sucked out. I don't understand how this works. How is an air conditioner not generating cold air when I can feel cold air blowing at me every time I use one?



Submitted August 27, 2016 at 12:51PM by rkerr97 http://ift.tt/2bodYvj askscience

No comments:

Post a Comment