Saturday, August 27, 2016

Just graduated need advice on how I plan to live. needadvice

Hello reddit,

I live in NYC and graduated from college and just recently landed a city job working for a law enforcement agency (career path I want) making about 41k a yr. This is the most I ever made. Since I was 17 I worked in food restaurants from nice organic restaurants to shit fast food jobs. I had the opportunity to be a carpenter being in their union but I hated it so I ended up quiting even though the pay was amazing. Took me 6 yrs to finish college but w.e life happens. I majored in Criminal Justice with a 3.6 GPA. I stopped caring about college in my senior year to a point that I didn't even care to pick up my degree. If I ever needed proof that I graduated I will have to get a letter from my college with I don't need for any jobs at the moment. From working those food jobs I was able to pay off most of my college debt. I am currently on about 15k in debt.

I still live with my parents. I was planing to move out but my father offered me the opportunity and idea to fix up our basement and it will be livable for me. I can cook, shower and sleep there and the basement is separate from the house (you have to go outside to go the basement) so there is privacy, unless my mother needs to do laundry. I am learning how to cook and starting to learn about insurances since the law enforcement agency offers benefits which is new to me. After I pay all my insurance plans and union dues I'm looking at about 1800 a month for income after taxes. I have a vehicle and pay my phone and a little bit of rent. Which comes out to about 500 flat. Add in food and gym memberships I'm banking about 1100. My loans monthly are about 160. I also have a decent credit score of about 728. I never had a late payment other than maybe forgetting to pay by the end of the day but amex let's me slide. I never spend what I know I don't have money for so all my credit card payments never get over due. I believe in a 300% rule. Which means that whatever my bill is on my credit card if I don't have 3 times that amount in my bank account I'm fucking up and need to chill on the spending. Now with all that info out the way this is my plan. I plan to stick with this law enforcement job (still in the academy) and get at least one year of experience. Then start applying for law enforcement agencies left and right. That combined with my CJ degree and a internship at a police precinct should be a good look. While doing this save up 200-300 every paycheck to drop my student loans to about 10000 by next summer. While living with my parents I think fixing up the basement will be a good thing. I calculate to pain the rooms, get a bed, a small refrigerator and small freezer ,fix the toilet ,shower, and sink should round up to 3000 or 4000 max. So God forbid I get laid off my new city job in law enforcement I can fall back on my parents and be able to have some privacy and get a job while I figure out my next move. If that does happen 98% chance im going to sign up for the airforce and try and get into either their military police or computer programing (i heard this transfers into the civilian jobs well).If I do manage to keep my job I plan on moving out on my 25th b-day. To something small like a studio. I don't really care about having too much space since I have no children and only really need is YouTube to pass the time when I'm home . I'll be able to have a little place that I pay rent (800-1000) plus the basement at my parents house. Add on food , gym, transportation, loans and car insurance I'm looking at saving 200 every month for rainy days and vacation till I move up or get a better job. Good plan or nah? Any feed back or criticism is appreciated.



Submitted August 28, 2016 at 02:35AM by Look_Ma_N0_Handz http://ift.tt/2bITRD6 needadvice

No comments:

Post a Comment