Tuesday, August 30, 2016

F'd up a batch of chocolate chip cookies. SO loved them. What did I do wrong so I can recreate them? AskCulinary

As the post says, I messed up some chocolate chip cookies, and my SO loved them. I texted him that I made the cookies, but they weren't quite right. I left the house for a couple hours, and when I came home, he ate ALL the cookies and even dug some out of the garbage that I threw away. (And made it clear I should never throw away cookies ever again)

I've used the same recipe for my chocolate chip cookies (below) dozens of times. They come out thick, soft and chewy without fail. This time they came out thin and chewy, and they were crinkly around the edges. After I made the dough I noticed it was very wet and runny, but I decided I would bake them anyway. When I put them in the oven, the dough started to spread right away, so I ended up taking them out of the oven about 6 minutes early. I'm a novice baker, so I'm not sure where to troubleshoot. My first thought was maybe I didn't measure out the flour correctly. Here's the recipe I use.

Ingredients

  • 2 c flour
  • ½ tsp baking soda
  • ½ tsp salt
  • ½ tsp corn starch
  • 1 Tbls vanilla
  • ¾ c unsalted butter
  • 1 c brown sugar
  • ½ c white sugar
  • 1 egg, plus 1 egg yolk, room temperature
  • 1 c semi-sweet chocolate chips or milk chocolate chips or a combination of chips

Instructions

  • Combine the dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, salt, corn starch) and sift together.
  • Brown the butter
  • Cream butter with sugars together in a large mixing bowl.
  • Beat in the vanilla and then add in the egg and egg yolk and continue beating until the mixture is light and creamy.
  • Add in the dry ingredients and mix just until combined.
  • Stir in the chocolate chips.
  • Put the dough in the refrigerator for an hour to chill.
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
  • Drop cookie dough ¼ cup at a time onto a parchment lined baking sheet.
  • Space cookies about 3 inches apart and bake for 15 to 17 minutes.

If anybody has any other cookie tips for somebody who doesn't bake often, that would be swell.



Submitted August 30, 2016 at 09:45PM by ufffda http://ift.tt/2bzbIyA AskCulinary

No comments:

Post a Comment