Wednesday, August 24, 2016

Do you love your children "equally?" Parenting

This philosophical conundrum popped into my head today. Are people capable of loving equally? Do you love your cab driver as much as you love your wife/husband? Well, obviously not.

Then I asked myself as a parent, do I love all of my children equally? Now, we've all heard the classic, "Mommy and Daddy love of all of you!" and "They're both great!" (when comparing refrigerator art) but if I'm being honest with myself, no, I don't love all my kids equally.

But it's not like I'm ranking them in order of most loved to least loved. It's not equal love. It's "different" love.

I love my oldest son, because he's like a kindred spirit, sort of a brother I never had and he teaches me stuff sometimes. I love my youngest son because of his compassion oddly combined with a blunt childlike frankness. I love my oldest daughter for her artistic talent and spirit. I love my youngest daughter for inquisitiveness about the world and her outgoing personality.

Like I said, I don't love them equally. I love them differently. I don't think it's the same thing.

But if there is one thing they are all equally...it is...a pain in my butt. But yes...I do love my kids, all of them...differently.



Submitted August 25, 2016 at 07:24AM by iamnotroberts http://ift.tt/2bhLv7z Parenting

No comments:

Post a Comment