Tuesday, June 14, 2016

New to RVing and buying our first travel trailer need advice Forest River 195BHXL or Forest River 261BHXL GoRVing

Hello,

I have a small family just my wife, my 5 year old and myself. We have purchased some property recently to build a camp on and then started researching RVs. We are in love with the thought process now.

My wife doesnt tent camp and I do plenty of rustic camping and love camping. We decided to look for a small travel trailer to park on our new property and to use for regional long weekend trips.

I drive a Ford F150 Super Cab 5.4L V8 gasoline truck with an electric brake hook up. Our property we bought is on a mountain and there is a small country road with a mountain climb to get there. This is one of the reasons we wanted to stay small.

I think we have decided on a Forest River Wildwood 195BHXL, which is a 21 foot single axle trailer with a max weight of under 4000 lbs. It has a Full bed, a dining area that turns into a bed and 2 bunks. We are getting last years model brand new for right at $10,500. This is a factory select model and is bare bones, no oven, dorm style refrigerator, window type air conditioning and 25 Gal Black Water tank.

We looked at a Wildwood 261BHXL which is 29 feet and has a lot more bells and whistles. The base weight is higher than the max weight of the other, it is dual axle and has a max capacity of near 8000 lbs. It also is around $15,500. It has motorized jacks and awning etc.

So my thought process has been that I want something light and easy to tow because we are climbing a mountain right now to put it on that property. We do not have a septic on the property but have spoken with a local septic service to pump the tank. We are not living full time but probably every other weekend.

We also want to travel regionally and enjoy the RV parks and sites so I want it to be enjoyable and in our mind we do not need an oven or a big freezer but I am interested in what the general thought on this is? If we get the bug and get really into camping we always figure we could sell this one and go bigger as needed.

What are your guys thoughts? Is the small unit a good investment? What accessories do I need? I am purchasing a weight distribution hitch from a friend and am thinking about getting some longer hoses, anything else I should pick up before doing this?



Submitted June 15, 2016 at 07:29AM by yotechguy http://ift.tt/1XVSWEN GoRVing

No comments:

Post a Comment