Tuesday, June 14, 2016

Al Pastor-style pulled pork slowcooking

I had a hankering for Al Pastor Pork this weekend. I don't have a rotisserie, so I figured I could make a decent facsimile in the slow cooker. Only a bit more difficult than the typical pulled pork recipe, but a great change of pace.

Not the most authentic, but it came out great.

Sorry, no pics!

INGREDIENTS

  • 2 teaspoon onion powder
  • 2½ teaspoons kosher salt
  • 2 teaspoons dried oregano
  • 1 teaspoon cumin powder
  • 2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 cans Pineapple chunks, drain 1/2 the liquid
  • 4-5lbs of Boneless Pork Shoulder, cut into chunks
  • 1-2 cans Chipotle peppers
  • 1 small yellow onion, quartered
  • 2 garlic cloves, smashed

Mix together spices & seasonings and toss with the pork chunks. Probably smart to allow it to sit in the refrigerator for a few hours or overnight. I only gave it about a half hour.

Mix the pork, pineapple & 1/2 the juice, and the remaining ingredients, and slow cook until it shreds easily (probably 4-5 hours on high, longer on low).

This is my own recipe loosely based on some that I found online, and modified for my pantry. The one I most closely followed also added 1.5 cups of chicken stock and 1/2 cup of white vinegar. I didn't have any chicken stock, so I added 1/2 of the pineapple juice. I meant to add the vinegar, but accidentally omitted it. I didn't miss it. I suspect the added acidity of the pineapple juice made up for it, but next time I would add it. It definitely didn't need any more liquid, so I don't see any reason to add the chicken stock.

The only other change I would make is adding another can of chipotles. With one it was mildly spicy but I think it would have been better with two.

I made Al Pastor burritos, but would be great for tacos or just as a sub for pulled pork on a sandwich.



Submitted June 15, 2016 at 10:48AM by SomeRandomMax http://ift.tt/1rp4X75 slowcooking

No comments:

Post a Comment