Thursday, February 4, 2016

Squats, deadlifts, and common sense Fitness

Hello folks. I'm posting this because I see and read about so many people who are clearly interested primarily in aesthetics and have a background of being out of shape, overweight, and pear-shaped (just like I used to be!) and who are steered toward programs in which they squat/deadlift every workout. Even a lot of intermediate and advanced programs that allegedly "improve aesthetics" place a huge emphasis on squatting and deadlifting.

I think we need to apply some common sense to this approach.

I'm 31. I've been lifting since I was 17. That's almost 14 years with no breaks longer than a few weeks on a couple of occasions.

I'm naturally pear-shaped and grew up overweight. I was motivated to lift to develop my physique aesthetically. All these years I wanted to look like a beast. By that, I mean massive shoulders, chest, and back tapering to a smaller waist supported by two pillars of steel.

The reality, however, was always a bulbous butt, massive thighs, and quads that have at times strained my pant legs to near bursting. Sure, I had a relatively thick upper body as well, but I never had that aesthetic taper. At best I was a rectangle, a refrigerator. My programs have always followed what has become common wisdom from our fitness soothsayers: lots of squats and deadlifts, with the assurances that these lifts "help overall muscle development." As a result, I looked down on people who didn't squat as uninformed or uninitiated in the ways of the iron.

In my early 20s, I competed in powerlifting (USPA, 275 and supers) for several years and did fairly well. I also competed in a few strongman competitions and did fairly well. Since then and until about two years ago, I've lifted three to five days per week using different programs. All programs have been heavily squat and deadlift focused. All the experts seem to say that's the way to go.

For the past two years, however, I've been competing in endurance sports. I've done a couple of shorts triathlons, several medium-distance races, and, most recently, a full marathon.

My endurance training got so taxing on my legs that I finally had to stop squatting and deadlifting. I just couldn't recover from my long runs and leg days. I've consistently continued to train upper body two to three days per week through the basic lifts: bench (flat and incline), pullups, chinups, and rows; overhead press; and limited accessory work.

Folks, I couldn't be happier with the results. My thighs, legs, and butt have drastically shrunk. My waist is smaller (I've dropped to a 34 waist from a 38/40). I finally have a taper.

In summary, I think squats and deadlifts absolutely develop your lower half like nothing else. If you have a flat butt and/or chicken legs, you cannot skip squats. Period.

But, if you're naturally pear-shaped like me, please don't spend those endless hours squatting hoping that somehow it's going to translate into a less pear-like physique. It's not going to. Ever. Instead, your butt will get bigger, your thighs thicker, your quads fuller. Even if your upper body grows, your lower half will always keep up or outpace it.

Instead, for you pear-shaped folks, focus on getting lean and doing proven upper body work (read: pullups and bench). I wish I'd taken this approach years ago.



Submitted February 05, 2016 at 02:43AM by Bob_Loblaw_No_Habla http://ift.tt/1PDukey Fitness

No comments:

Post a Comment