Thursday, February 23, 2017

Can I vent for a moment? jobs

I work at what should probably be a pretty low key job. I'm in my early twenties and work in a not quite fast food type of dessert place. Think Sweetfrog or Gigi's. Lots of pink, aimed at younger kids, and it seemed like a fun place to work.

My bosses (a husband/wife duo) are making it unbearable for anyone who comes in to work. They have 8 cameras set up around the store with a live 24/7 feed to their phones. They watch it all day, constantly. They'll call up usually a few times a day to tell us something small we're doing wrong. Anything from where we're standing in the store, what we're wearing (we have a uniform but if we wear any kind of hair accessories or even a light jacket in the winter they call us to say we look ridiculous or unprofessional. One lady wore a headband with cat ears on it on Halloween and got berated, the little kids thought it was great though). If we're standing around doing nothing (they don't allow chairs in the BOH. We're forced to stand 8+ hours a day for a little north of minimum wage), they'll call and ask if we've finished everything. If we say yes, he'll drive over and find anything we overlooked. Last time we missed some crumbs behind the refrigerator, can't believe we didn't think to move the 400 lb appliance ourselves.

Any small mistake we make when closing will get photographed the next morning when my boss comes in 3 hours before we open to double check find any minute detail we missed so he can text it to everyone on the staff in a group message followed by a few sentences about being incompetent and not caring about the store.

The bosses are racist, misogynistic, doucheholes. Black people are referred to as drug addicts, Indians or Muslims are towelheads, and if you're anything they view as beneath them you're ghetto. They flaunt their wealth to the staff, while simultaneously telling customers they're just a mom and pop shop trying to live the American dream and build a business.

I walked out today. I took all my stuff with me (I had some extra cooking supplies from home kept there). I really don't want to go back, but I also don't have another job lined up. I don't know how much more of this I can take. Is it worth my sanity to tell them to fuck off and start an aggressive job hunt? I've come home in tears at least once a week for the past couple of months. Should I burn the place down?

Sorry for any errors. I'm drunk.



Submitted February 24, 2017 at 06:47AM by trashcan2398749873 http://ift.tt/2kSfglP jobs

No comments:

Post a Comment