Wednesday, January 6, 2016

ELI5: What can the average derp do to cinch up the security of their digital life re: the man? explainlikeimfive

Just watched Citizen Four with the wife and realized she hadn't noticed I blacked out my front facing cameras months ago (like I want the NSA to see my o face?). Despite us being up to no shenanigans, she's understandably not handling the whole "spying on literally everything you do" thing but it's an awfully big pill to swallow. What can I, the marginally capable, do to make a more secure digital life?

And no, afaik, the "internet of things" is not allowed in my home. My thermostat has an analog dial and my refrigerator doesn't even know what time it is (not even when it's Howdy Doody time). Half of my light switches are still from the 60s. So that part is golden, I think.

I'm thinking taking the wireless cards out of as much of my devices as is practical and connecting everything to a router via hardline so that I can kill connections at will is a start but I know next to jack about phones and I certainly don't know htf a VPN works. What's a fella gotta do for privacy around here?



Submitted January 07, 2016 at 01:12AM by TheWeirdoMachine http://ift.tt/1UwVvr4 explainlikeimfive

No comments:

Post a Comment