Sunday, January 3, 2016

Tenants "move in" without first and last month's rent. How do I evict? legaladvice

I am from Ontario, Canada. I am a junior partner in a business where a small aspect of the business is renting houses. I hate it really. So the senior partner (we'll call him Dan) had found a couple to rent one of the houses. The understanding was they had to get a refrigerator for the place, give us first and last and also get the hydro in their name.

So Dan collected a deposit on the place in the form of about half of one months rent. And in talking with the potential renters, found they had gotten a fridge and Dan offers to let them put in the House. In what was definitely the the wrong move, Dan hands them a set of keys and leaves it up to renters.

Fast forward a few days, we have workers scheduled to replace the furnace. Dan goes over and opens the door to let the workers in and the house is occupied! They have all their stuff all over the place, two dogs, at least two cats, the wood furnace (to be replaced) is full of wood for burning.

Dan is pissed and wants them out and I'm supposed to make it happen. Do I call the police? Do I have to go through the eviction process? Do I go in when they are out at work and change the locks? Do I shut off the water?



Submitted January 03, 2016 at 11:17PM by Hiravaxis http://ift.tt/1MOnkoY legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment