Monday, January 4, 2016

Should I take on more debt to go to grad school? personalfinance

I'm very interested in the SLP field and hoping to get a Bachelor's and Master's degree in the field, but I'm hitting a wall financially.

I have a BA in English Education at the secondary level as well as my teaching certificate, so I will definitely need a BS (or at least some post-bac courses) to get into a masters program. I knew this so I took a job at a university so I could take advantage of the tuition assistance program offered in GA and get practically free education. Unfortunately there are no online programs offered at institutions in GA, and the programs that are offered are extremely prescriptive, so there is no flexibility. I need flexibility because to use the tuition assistance, you can only take 9 credit hours at a time.

I'm now looking at out-of-state online programs, but they all cost 50-60k, which isn't possible with a 28k/year job, 80k mortgage and student loans. I'm turning 26 this year, so I feel like I need to get my degree sooner rather than later, but I don't know how.

I've looked at scholarships, but the award money is pretty bleak. If I applied for everything I am eligible for and won, it would only net me around 15k.

Should I take on more loans to get the degree? There is a huge demand in my state for SLPs, so if I work hard in school, I should be able to get a job after graduation, but I don't know if that will balance out the huge debt I would take on. Thoughts?



Submitted January 04, 2016 at 10:45PM by broken_refrigerator http://ift.tt/1IMYlrj personalfinance

No comments:

Post a Comment