Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Messed up a little bit with VFT refrigerator dormancy, could use some advice. SavageGarden

So this is the first year I've lived in an apartment and had to use the refrigerator method for my VFTs dormancy and I made two lazy mistakes that screwed me up a little bit. I have them in a tupperware in sphagnum with copper based antifungal spay which looks fine and I keep them in a mini fridge at 43 degrees. My first mistake was that right after I dug them up I wanted to ease them into dormancy by sticking them in a window for a couple weeks. One day I went to check on them, realized that the Tupperware created a greenhouse effect so it was super warm inside, so I took the lid off and forgot about it for a day and a half which dried everything out and killed/crisped up the leaves of the ones not buried in spagnum, which I figured wasn't a big deal cause I was gonna probably trim them off anyway and the rhizomes still looked perfectly healthy. Fast forward a couple weeks, I've been checking on them every few days and things look good, notice the sphagnum is a little dry so I spray it down a little bit and then pop it back in the fridge and go home for Christmas for a week. I get back and check on them and it looks like I overdid the moisture, no mold but the stuff that had been dried up is now nasty mushy rotten shit and it's spreading to some of the rhizomes. I immediately trimmed off all the black stuff, gave it a serious wash in water and used a toothbrush to scrub off all the soggy material and let the sphagnum dry out a good bit before putting everything back. Is there anything else I can dobro prevent further die off? Luckily as far as I can tell the only ones effected were the larger typical plants I had, most of the cultivars were in the deeper layers and look good, but it's still a bummer.



Submitted December 30, 2015 at 10:30AM by Fattybitchtits http://ift.tt/1NV953q SavageGarden

No comments:

Post a Comment