Thursday, December 24, 2015

Ceviche and raw seafood. Should I be worried? food

For new year's eve, I'd like to serve some kind of raw seafood as starter. Ceviche has crossed my mind, in addition to another method (of which I am not familiar with the English term): curing it with salt and sugar.

I'd hate to have 10+ guests come down with parasites or the like, but most advice I've found doesn't include freezing the seafood prior to preparation. Would it ruin the flavors and texture of the dish if the seafood is frozen for 24 hrs and then thawed in the refrigerator prior? On the other hand, provided I pick it up fresh at the day of serving, are the risks small enough to be negligible?

Oh, and where are my manners: Merry christmas, happy holidays etc. etc.! :-)

Edit 2: Alright, so digging around a bit on this sub, it seems pretty agreed upon by chefs that the freezing procedure is necessary when handling raw seafood (I'd still like to hear opposing arguments, though). I guess this makes sense under the assumption that the eventual prevalence of parasites is determined by the events of the fish's life and not the actual handling after being caught (true?). No amount of freshness is going to chance that risk. Turning the attention towards the preparation then, is it feasible to make a worthy dish using raw seafood in a student's apartment with all that follows: Freezing time is longer than industry freezers, and thus may corrupt the texture of the fish, as far as I've understood. Also, I do not have 14 days to freeze the seafood (which was mentioned in an archived thread).



Submitted December 24, 2015 at 04:02PM by nameisreallyhard http://ift.tt/1MyXAwT food

No comments:

Post a Comment