Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Question about Solar Power/Getting Started vandwellers

My partner and I are planning to convert a cargo trailer to a camper over the next few months. I have a job that allows us to travel, we are tired of paying rent, etc. We camp a lot and would like to get into something a little more comfortable than a tent. It is also a pain to pull everything in and out of the truck every time we want to go somewhere else. We are choosing a cargo trailer for a couple of reasons- I have a truck I am not willing to give up so a van won't really work for us and we don't want anything excessively large but the only small rvs we have found are incredibly expensive.

I have the tools and the hands on experience to feel confident converting the trailer in every area except electrical. I have electrical experience, but not when working with a limited supply of power. Ideally the trailer would run solely on solar power. We typically stay on BLM or nation forest lands, so we rarely have the hookup ability. I've looked through a ton of videos and posts, but so far I haven't gotten a good answer on how to get started here.

We want to have a small refrigerator, lighting, the ability to charge phones and laptops, and occasionally run a small fan. I also have a a desktop computer I would ideally like to have with a 460 watt psu- I don't know if this is doable with solar panels. I could purchase a low power monitor if the desktop is feasible. We have gotten used to not having a hot water heater or heating/cooling and prefer to move around to suit the season. We will be using propane for a stove. Let me know if I'm forgetting anything else.

Any suggestions, tips, or tutorials would be much appreciated.

Edit: When I say I have electrical experience, I should clarify that I have a job where I work with small autonomous machines. This experience doesn't necessarily carry over to solar panels and refrigerators.



Submitted January 10, 2018 at 06:07AM by Carcharodons http://ift.tt/2CTgwgX vandwellers

No comments:

Post a Comment