Wednesday, January 31, 2018

I owe my roommates money. They sold my personal belongings. (VA) legaladvice

I posted something earlier, but I wanted to clarify, and give more details.

Back in August of 2017 I had a falling out with my roommates. It's difficult for me to communicate when something bad happens in my life. I have depression, anxiety, and am on the ASD spectrum. So when something difficult comes up, I just shut down.

I lost my job, but didn't tell my roommates. I would go out looking for jobs during the time I should of been working. Eventually they found out. They were mad, and rightful so. When they found out, while I was out of the house. they packed a suitcase with my clothing of mine and toiletries. They confronted me, took my keys, and made me leave the house. My name is on the lease. So they can't really make me leave.

During the time I was out of the house I stayed at a hotel for two nights. Eventually I contacted one of my roommates and apologized for my actions. I asked to come back to the house. They allowed me to do so, but under a agreement that we made via email titled, "Living arrangement prototype".

Before I get into the agreement we made. I just wanted to inform you that I owed them money for a debt that they helped me out. It was a verbal agreement. I was making payments to them, to pay off that debt at the time.

The agreement was that all of my belongings were to be held by them except clothing and toiletries. None of my belongings were to be used by my roommates. A 20% interest was to be added to my already outstanding debt at the first of the month. I had to pay rent of course. 1 months rent after moving. I had to pay a back cost of 25% of utilities since May and until present. I wasn't being forced to pay any utilities. I was working a minimum paying job while they way higher paying jobs. We had a mutual agreement about the utilities. If I failed to pay anything on time, I had to pay a 10% "good faith" weekly interest. I had to live in the unfurnished basement. I was not allowed to be anywhere upstairs unless approved. I had to notify them if I was going out or using the bathroom. A old refrigerator and microwave were supplied to me for my own separate food. I had to be out of the house 4-8 hours a day. They eventually made it 6 hours. I had to clean the house 2 hours a day. This was changed to 3 hours a day.

I spent two months in that basement. I was having a hard time finding another job. The unemployment I was receiving wasn't covering my expenses. I was living on one meal a day, eating basically Ramen. I had to deal with my roommates verbal abuse. My mental health was at a all time low.

I eventually contacted my mother to let her know that I may be coming to Maryland to stay with her. I wasn't sure when. During that time, my phone got shut off. My mom got worried because she had not heard from me in a couple of days. Eventually she contacted my roommates. They were furious that I was going to leave. Thinking that I would not pay my debts. They took my car keys from me. Told me that I couldn't get my car back unless I paid them $500.00. I also had to get out of the house. I was forced to sign my car title under the seller part. I felt threatened, even if it wasn't implied. For the final week I was there. They added a lock so I couldn't go upstairs unless I was approved. There was a basement door to the outside.

I left the house in early November. They threatened to sell all of my personal belongings, if I didn't pay them 10% by December 1st. Which was apparently almost $5,000. My dad paid them $500 so I could get my car in mid December. I have been unable to make a trip down there because of money. I would have to take a train. My parents refused to help me go down to Virginia.

I have been informed by my ex roommates that the majority of my personal belongings have been sold. A TV, furniture, misc books / DVDs have not been sold. As well as clothing I had to leave behind.

What can I do at this point? I have caused a lot of this myself, because I don't stand up for myself.



Submitted January 31, 2018 at 05:53PM by SquallLeonhart1999 http://ift.tt/2DRDFgE legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment