Tuesday, January 30, 2018

Advice needed: I melted my fridge's ice/water dispenser HomeImprovement

A bit of ice had gotten caught in the water dispenser on my refrigerator, which has happened once before since I moved in. The last time it happened I used a hair dryer and held it near the dispenser until the ice melted and all was well. The issue repeated itself the other day, so this morning I tried the hair dryer method again. I don't know if I kept it there for too long, or if the heat setting was too high, or what have you, but I melted the internal plastic mechanisms that allow the whole apparatus to function and now I'm stuck with a melted dispenser and an unhappy girlfriend.

So reddit, my question to you is this: what is my best course of action?

I called GE and they said that the parts for my particular model would cost around $100 ($62 for the solenoid, $39 for the funnel lever). Is this a fair price? That obviously doesn't include the $100 fee just for them to come out to assess the issue, much less the actual labor costs. I would prefer to fix this myself if possible just to keep the costs down.

The button controls for the dispenser seem to be working fine (light on/off, switch between water, cubed, and crushed ice) so I don't think there are any electrical issues, it's just the plastic bits.

Is there more that I should be worried about?

Thanks!



Submitted January 30, 2018 at 07:47PM by _fernweh_ http://ift.tt/2EoxSk0 HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment