Monday, July 4, 2016

I rented a room last month, and thee landlord is now changing everything in the house. legaladvice

Hi /r/legaladvice, how is everyone today?

So I am renting a room in Baltimore city, MD. I just moved in last month, and was the first tenant. Upon moving in, while signing the lease, it was explained to me that I would have kitchen privledges, and there was a lot of paperwork signed based on kitchen rules. None of those rules are really too pertinent to this.

The last month here has been hell. He decided to turn the living room into another bedroom. In doing that, there has been drywall dust all over the house that was not cleaned up, banging out all hours of the day/night, and its just been overall madness. In the last month, he has moved a male and female into one bedroom, a woman and her 5 and 8 year old sons into another bedroom, a woman and her 16 year old son sharing another bedroom, my landlord here everyday, and a subcontractor, his wife, and his son all doing work at crazy hours. Last night they were banging like crazy until after midnight. Let me also add that he does not have a building perrnit. Anyway, so today he tells me I have to get all of my food out of the kitchen, because he is turning the kitchen into ANOTHER bedroom and a second bathroom, even though he hasn't even finished putting in the last bedroom. I asked what I am supposed to do about my food and how am I supposed to eat, and he said I was on my own there.. That maybe I could buy my own refrigerator, microwave, and some hotplates and put them in my room. There is no ventilation in my room. Also he has had to cut the electfelectfricity out for hours at a time.. Leaving me sitting in a hot bedroom with no entertainment.

Obviously, I am not so happy and am planning on moving out, but am really strapped for cash. He is bugging me about rent, but I really can't afford to pay rent if I am trying to be out by the end of the month. Is there any suggestions for me? Should I just not pay him and see if he will take some sort of payment plan after I move? Should I have him evict me for nonpayment even though the reason I am moving out because literally all the terms of the lease have changed since I have moved in? Is it legal for him to have us cook in our rooms after it was explained at first that there was going to be full kitchen privledges? Should I turn him in for not having a building permit so I can eat the rest of this month? Can I somehow get money from him for the 100$+ food in the refrigerator I now have to get rid of or else it will go bad because he is making me move it out of the kitchen even though I dont have another refrigerator to put it in, so it is going to go bad? What can I do?

Thank you guys so much! Any and all advice is much appreciated!

--wiz



Submitted July 05, 2016 at 12:49AM by Wizahd-of-ahhhs http://ift.tt/29k0FXW legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment