Thursday, July 28, 2016

The perfect day. [OC][RO][RF] shortstories

(preface: this is just something I wrote for myself to help me with my bouts of depression. Writing these helps me imagine the future i might have, they give me hope. Anyways, here's the first little bit I've written. If I get a positive response I might post more. Or I might post more anyways. I apologize for any mistakes in formatting)

I stand tranquil, staring out my balcony doors early on a Sunday morning. As I sip my tea I observe the waves lapping on the shore, the seagulls circling overhead. I can see the fish market; the vendors are almost done setting up for the day. Maybe I’ll take the kids there after breakfast, I muse. Speaking of breakfast, I turn back to the stove, flipping the French toast on the griddle. On the cutting board I have an assortment of fresh fruits; mango, pineapple, dates, and some bananas. As I pull the last of the French toast off, I hear the pattering of little feet coming up behind me. “Good morning mama.” I hear my four-year-old daughter chirp. “Good morning darling,” I smile at her, and lean down to kiss her mess of brown curls “would you help me set the table for breakfast?” I ask, grabbing the plate of French toast and chopped fruit and heading to the balcony. “Yes mama!” Delia says. I instruct her to grab the pitcher of orange juice, which I hand squeezed last night, from the refrigerator and she follows me outside. Soon the table is ready for breakfast. “Let’s wake Mommy and Oliver now” I say, picking her up and placing her on my hip. “Okay Mama!” Delia giggles, hugging my neck tightly. We go to my bedroom and I place Delia gently on the bed with my sleeping wife. I climb in on the other side and Delia snuggles in between us. My wife, Alice, slowly opens her eyes, a smile spreading across her face. “Good morning, my love.” she says groggily. “Good morning,” I smile, planting a kiss on her lips. “I made breakfast.” The scent of piping hot French toast wafts in from the balcony along with the salty ocean air. Suddenly I hear our son coo from his bassinette. Alice gets up and brings him back to the bed. “I think someone’s hungry” she remarks as he begins to fuss. I take him and pull my shirt down to feed him. Alice takes Delia to change out of her pullup and put on fresh pajamas. We all meet on the balcony. “Everything looks delicious, dear.” Alice says, preparing a plate for Delia. “Delia, darling, would you like some orange juice?” our daughter nods enthusiastically through a mouthful of bananas. I can’t help but laugh as her curls bounce comically. I notice Oliver is done eating and I gently place him in the high chair next to me. “Alice, I was thinking,” I grab a few slices of French toast and drizzle them with syrup and pineapple as I speak, “we should go down to the fish market today. Maybe we could find something for dinner.” “I think that’s a wonderful idea. What do you think Delia, would you like to go to the fish market today?” “Yes please! And could we go swimming after?” Delia asks, wiggling in her chair. I laugh. “What do you think, Oliver,” I smile as him and tickle his belly, “should we go swimming today?” He coos happily in response to my voice and I chuckle, “That sounds like a yes to me.” We chat over breakfast. Delia tells us about her dream in which she got to ride a ‘dragon-lion thing’ and then she got to swim with some mermaids and meet all their animal friends. Alice and I listen attentively, soaking up every detail. I look over at Alice, she’s so enveloped in our daughter’s story that she’s stopped eating. She smiles and nods along, beaming with pride and adoration. I heart skips a beat when I see her like this. When she’s so open, with her heart on her sleeve. So full of love for our children. I admire her face, the way her eyes crinkle when she laughs. The way, sometimes, when she thinks nobody is looking, she tears up just the slightest bit because she loves our babies so much she can’t handle it. I adore everything about her. I am so in love with this woman. I am so happy with the life we’ve built together. Alice looks over at me and catches me staring. Even after all this time, I still get flustered when our eyes meet. We’ve been married for nine years and I still feel my cheeks flush when I see her stunning blue eyes looking back at me. I love her so much I can feel my heart swelling. Our eyes stay locked until Oliver gurgles loudly, pulling us both out of our gaze. We laugh and I plant a kiss on his forehead. We finish breakfast and Alice cleans up as I prepare Delia and Oliver for the day. “Delia, what would you like to wear today?” I patiently go through her closet until we find an outfit she’s happy with. A blue sun dress and plain silver sandals. The dress is fitted at the top with a loose flowing skirt. I leave her to pick out a bathing suit to wear underneath while I take Oliver to change his diaper and dress him. I choose a striped onesie in the same hue as Delia’s dress and a pair of white overalls. I pack his diaper bag, and go check on Delia. She’s chosen a green one piece and is just finished dressing as I walk in. The three of us go into the kitchen to find Alice has packed lunch for us; tuna salad sandwiches, grapes, crackers, and plenty of water. I go into our room and grab a beach bag, which I pack with the essentials, sunscreen, towels, more sun screen, and some floaties for Delia and Oliver before adding the sandwiches, grapes, and water. Finally, Alice and I dress for our day out. Alice picks a simple black bikini and a lose flowing white dress that stops mid-thigh, she finishes the look with a pair of sandals and a large brimmed hat. “I’m going to go put sunscreen on the children dear.” Alice plants a kiss on my lips before going to do just that. While she prepares our children for a day in the sun I throw on a similar black bikini with high waisted shorts and an old concert tee-shirt, I opt for sandals and a ball cap, pulling my long ponytail through the hole in the back. I meet my family in the living room, grabbing the beach bag as I walk through the kitchen. I see Alice has the diaper bag and is securing Oliver to her chest in a wrap. “Ready honey?” I ask, planting yet another kiss on her lips. Alice hums in affirmation and we all head out to the buggy, ready to go spend a day by the ocean.



Submitted July 28, 2016 at 01:54PM by anonymousswriter http://ift.tt/2aM9f1Y shortstories

No comments:

Post a Comment