Tuesday, July 26, 2016

cove/setback for refrigerator? HomeImprovement

My standard depth refrigerator sticks out way too far into my kitchen. Normally this is ok, but in my case it sticks out into the walkway coming from a hallway into the kitchen. It is awkward. I would post a picture, but my kitchen is completely torn apart and fridge isn't in place anymore. Just picture the fridge sticking 3-4 inches into a doorway, sorta blocking it.

I could buy a countertop depth fridge, but those are very expensive.

The wall behind my fridge is not load bearing. On the other side is the wall to my shower. The idea would be to cut out the wall behind the fridge and frame it out so the fridge can be pushed back a few inches.

The problem is what to do with the 36" x 71" area that wouldn't have any studs. If I ever want to tile the backsplash of my shower, it should be nice and sturdy.

My first thought: back it with 3/4 plywood. that should make it strong enough to handle the fiberglass shower liner that is against it.

If I ever want to tile, I could go get 1" square steel tubing with brackets welded on either side and bolt them behind the plywood. I think the steel would make the wall strong enough, but I'm not sure.

I think I could gain 3" this way. Cost would be minimal since I have scrap plywood. Just a few 2x4's and some drywall/mud. Much cheaper than the countertop depth fridge.

Do you think it is a good idea? Would the plywood/steel make the wall tough enough?

I'm not too worried about inspection, I live in a rural area and they don't inspect remodels. They didn't even want to give me a permit.. said I didn't need one.



Submitted July 27, 2016 at 12:23AM by qwfpjluy http://ift.tt/2auHyLA HomeImprovement

No comments:

Post a Comment