Sunday, April 26, 2015

I'm tired of worrying about my friend so much. offmychest

I have a friend that I've known for roughly 5 years at this point. Last year she moved several counties away to live with a guy and a girl that she met at an anime convention. Ever since then, she's been on the decline. She's lost jobs, the apartment that they shared burned down, she's been in car wrecks, the guy turned into her boyfriend and then dumped her, et cetera. She cannot catch a break.

However, her roommates are horrible people. They go out of their way to antagonize her and make her miserable, but my friend refuses to accept that. She sees them as gods and worships the ground that they walk on. She goes out of her way to help them, whereas they're completely interested in helping only themselves. They have her sleeping on a bed of packing foam in an empty bedroom that smells like cat piss, while they sleep on a huge bed with covers and no cat piss smell to be found. The food in their refrigerator is all theirs, and she hardly has jack squat to eat. I could go on with the list of injustices, but I will refrain.

Anyway, the other night she called me at midnight to tell me that she was having herself committed to the behavioral health ward at the local hospital. She was doing so because the ex-boyfriend/roommate told her that she needed to. I called her mom to let her know, and we rushed down there at 2 AM in the morning to see what we could do. We didn't get to see her, but we did talk to the ex-boyfriend/roommate. He basically told us that he wanted her out. He has been trying to get her out because he thinks that my friend is too clingy and neurotic and so on and so forth. My friend's mom and I went to their apartment and packed up all of my friend's stuff, because this was truly a golden opportunity. If they wanted her out, we'd do anything to make that a reality and save our loved one.

We came back later in the day during official visiting hours, and by god...I have never seen my friend look so horrible. She's pulled out her hair, she's lost so much weight that she's skin and bones, and she just looks dead almost. There used to be a bright shine behind her eyes that is just gone. She continues to assert that she's just fine, she's perfectly happy and healthy. Her mom and I look at each other and exchange that glance of "yeah right." Anyway, her mom broke the news that her roommates wanted her out and that we'd gotten all her stuff. There was a lot of crying.

About 30 minutes later, my friend discharges herself without ever seeing a doctor. She's not okay. Her roommates refuse to see her and we're going down the motorway when the news breaks that her roommates don't want her to move back period. She honestly loses it at that point and both her mom and I are terrified. There is kicking and screaming and this wild look in her eyes. We hightail it back to the hospital and try to have her re-admitted because things are not right and she needs help, but they won't take her because she's 19 and doesn't want to go back in.

She's at her mom's house right now but she still thinks that she'll be able to move back in with her roommates. She still thinks that everything will magically be okay, and that they're going to take her back. I don't know if it is a lie or not, but she told me that her roommates agreed to let her move back in once her mental health has improved.

I'm tired of worrying about her. I'm afraid that she'll hurt herself in despair or run off in the middle of the night. There's a street fair coming up that she told me that she'll be going to. That is the perfect time for her to pull something and I'm terrified. I don't want to go, but I feel like her mom is going to task me with hovering over her for all three days of the fair.

I love my friend, I do, but these last few days have been so draining. I don't want to deal with it anymore. I have constantly worried about my friend for months, and completely drained all of my energy over the past two days worrying about her even more. I just want this situation to go away. I want to back away from her, from her mom, from the roommates, from everyone involved and tell them to deal with it. I cannot handle any more of this. She needs someone to be there for her right now, but I don't think it can be me. I can't handle her, I can't be what she needs. I have my own mental health problems to deal with, along with college and other responsibilities. I feel like I am being selfish and I probably am, but this is out of hand.



Submitted April 27, 2015 at 09:06AM by sladeninstitute http://ift.tt/1Gn68EG offmychest

No comments:

Post a Comment