Wednesday, April 29, 2015

[NC-Rental Law] Do I have any legal ground to stand. Compensation for food in a faulty refrigerator. legaladvice

I was wondering if I have any legal ground to stand on and if I could receive some compensation for spoiled food. A little more than a month ago I noticed that the refrigerator had stopped working(Friday March 20th). I immediately typed my landlord an email and sent it to her. She responded the following day (Saturday) and told me that she would have somebody come to the house to check on it either Tuesday or Wednesday. Personally I felt that was too long to wait, and would prefer someone check on the refrigerator much sooner so that I could attempt to save the food inside of the fridge. Eventually her husband came out and checked on the fridge and said that nothing appeared to be wrong with it. Sometime between Friday and Monday the refrigerator started working again, I was out of town and was unable to keep an eye on the fridge. Without knowing how long the refrigerator was off I threw my food out just to be safe. Didn't mention anything about the food and thought that the fridge was fixed because the landlord said that it was. On March 25 a repairmen checked on the refrigerator and couldn't find anything wrong with the fridge. April 15 I get home from work and the fridge has cut off again. I emailed the landlord letting her know. Sent an update later that evening and told her that I flipped the switch and that the refrigerator had cut back on. Within the body of the email I stated that something appears to randomly shut the fridge off. Her husband came out a few days later and said that he would get an electrician within the next couple of days. A couple of days pass and still no electrician. The fridge shut off and this time would not cut back on after I flipped the breakers. The one mistake that I made was that I didn't notify the landlord that the refrigerator had cut back off, mainly because the issue was getting redundant and I was expecting an electrician to show up at any point to hopefully resolve the issue. Finally on Thursday April 23 I came home the fridge wasn't working, the outlets in my room and my roommates room weren't working and I sent the landlord an email asking if she could send out an electrician as soon as possible. It had been well over a week since they said that an electrician would check out the breaker. I woke up and left her an additional voicemail asking that she send an electrician. She responded via text that someone was coming to work on the breaker that day. I thanked her on saturday for getting someone out and fixing the breaker. Within my email I stated that unfortunately the food inside the fridge was spoiled due to the amount of time that the fridge had been cut off. I let her know that this was the second time I had to throw food out and asked her if I could receive some compensation. I was very cordial and felt that I had been more than patient throughout the process. She responded back highlighting a few sections within the rental agreement that stated she wasn't required by law to replace food within the refrigerator. I was somewhat taken aback because I honestly didn't think that she would be so catty and unapologetic. She also informed me that I didn't have renters insurrance and that I was apprently unaware of what renters insurrance was. It was patronizing and completely unproffesional. I took some offence to that because I didn't someone could have their head shoved so far up their ass that they couldn't recognize the decent thing to do would be to at least offer to help out and apologize for the faulty equipment. I let her know legal or not the decent and obviouse thing to do would be to somewhat compensate me for my troubles. I was not asking for much just a sign of good faith, possibly $50.00 off next months rent to help off-set the food that was spoiled. Again throughout this process I was respectful and very cordial but her response to me just set me off and now I am pissed. Sorry for the rant, but do I have any legal recourse.



Submitted April 29, 2015 at 06:36PM by BD_CrickIV http://ift.tt/1DK0tI5 legaladvice

No comments:

Post a Comment