Monday, April 27, 2015

Gelatin degradation and pressure cookers AskCulinary

I love making bone broth with my pressure cooker and beef knuckle and leg bones. I find that I can extract way more fat and gelatin from the bones with the pressure cooker compared to even overnight simmers in a regular pot.

One thing I wanted to know more about is how to reduce the bone broth without denaturing all the gelatin. Once I pressure cook the bones, I usually filter the whole stock through a fine strainer, then let it set in the refrigerator overnight. I then scrape/peel off the fat cap (that goes into freezer for storage) to reveal very dense congealed bone broth.

I have been reducing this broth on the stove top by boiling it for 0.5-1 hour longer to concentrate the flavors a bit (and reduce volume in general), but I noticed that this twice boiled stock does not set up when cooled. I presume this is due to breaking down all the gelatin from the reducing process? How does it survive the initial heat from the pressure cooker? Any way to reduce this stock without breaking down the gelatin?



Submitted April 27, 2015 at 09:42PM by Junkbot http://ift.tt/1dkT8bF AskCulinary

No comments:

Post a Comment