Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Looking for a name of a Mexican ingredient AskCulinary

Hi there!

Getting straight to the point here: 2 months ago, I was in Merida, Mexico. We were sitting in a bar, where we got a lot of botanas (the little plates with free snacks). One of these botanas was cooked ground beef, colored almost completely black. It had a really distinct flavor; although definitely not spicy. I asked the cook for the recipe, but his knowledge of English wasn't that good, as is my Spanish...

So he gave me a plastic bag with a fistful of black paste and wrote down some of the ingredients, which include: Tomatoes, bell pepper, onion, garlic, vinegar, cumin and some other stuff he didn't know how to write down in English (should've asked him to write it in Spanish... ).

I'm pretty sure it's sort of a local specialty, and I'd reeeeally love to know what it was. Since we have been travelling in a car, I didn't have the opportunity to store it in a refrigerator, so I'm not sure if the little we have left is still usable. It does still smell exactly the same as the day I got it.

Does anyone have any idea what this might be?

Thanks in advance!



Submitted April 23, 2015 at 04:10AM by TheDukeOfAlbion http://ift.tt/1HmTTgC AskCulinary

No comments:

Post a Comment