Pictures: http://ift.tt/1FlVaOY (various degrees of potato)
Last night after I got home I went and looked at my swimmers. I gave all of them a bop on the head and they all sank. One of the FIIK seeds did come back up after a bit.
I am attempting to germinate the possible bum seed but I separated it from the rest of the seeds on the paper towel so I know which one it was. (see album)
It was easy enough to pour water out into a bowl. Seeds stayed in the cups. Once I had wet and rung out the paper towel I flipped the cup onto it and gave the bottom of the cup a tap and the seed fell right out.
I pointed the seed point down towards the open end of the paper towel so that when the root grew it wouldn't hit the fold of the paper towel. But fuck me some of those seeds were small and hard to see which end was up. Needed a flash light and I looked at them under my glasses. Tri-freaking-focles coming my way.
It is still cold here (34 outside 65 inside) and we don't have electronics or refrigerators that will generate enough heat to get to the 78 - 86 degree range you want for seeds to germinate so I got a seedling mat. The mat went under an old seed tray and dome. The seeds themselves were in a shoe box in plastic bags/paper towels with a thermometer.
It was a little to warm the bottom of the box this morning at 87.64 degrees. So I moved the seeds on top of the of the thermometer to get some space between them and the heat source (3/4 inch approx.). I cracked the dome so heat could escape as well.
I like my shoe box because I can store all my germinating gear in it when done, it gives me the darkness the seeds need and just looks like trash in the corner (to fool the bug guy today).
I will be interested to see what the temperature is tonight in the germination chamber. And I kick myself for not checking my min-max temp this morning.
Submitted April 08, 2015 at 10:15PM by LazyGrower http://ift.tt/1FhqtQk lazygrower
No comments:
Post a Comment