Friday, July 8, 2016

Meal help working 14 hours a day EatCheapAndHealthy

Greetings,

My wife and I are currently going through some tight times, and expecting our first, so I'm getting a second job to supplement our income.

At any rate, I'll be working from 7:30-22:30, so I need a bit of help with meals. I would like to try to keep the budget for myself at or under $50/month on meals.

My current day of meals looks like this:

Breakfast Lunch Dinner Snacks
2 Eggs on a bun & half cup of oats 1-2 cups mashed potatoes, 1 cup of pulled pork Breaded chicken patty on a bun Apple & peanut butter/sometimes a banana

Breakfast typically fills me up until around 10:00 when I'll eat an apple and peanut butter which keeps me full until 12-12:30 when I get lunch. In the afternoon sometimes I'll have a banana with peanut butter, but I'm usually hungry by the time I get home around 4:15. With the new job, I won't have the luxury of going home between shifts, so I'll need to pack lunch and dinner and whatever snacks in the morning

I also want to be eating enough to be gaining weight with exercising, so my caloric goal is ~3k/day (I'm currently 6'2" 151 lbs). At this point, I've got some potatoes which were $6.12 for 15 lbs. I've also got 5 lbs of brown rice which I got for $6.62 [haven't gotten around to looking up recipes, so any suggestions would be appreciated]. Finally, I've got a few pounds of pinto beans which I'm also kind of at a loss of how to cook - the few times I've tried they've not turned out super well. We do own a crockpot (not sure on the size) as well as a rice cooker, and have full access to appliances at home. At work, I have access to a refrigerator and microwave.

I am not at all picky about what I eat, but I would certainly like to eat somewhat healthy. I do have a bit of a problem with drinking milk - it causes my acne to worsen - so I do tend to avoid it, but I've not got any proper allergies or sensitivities.

Now another big issue is that my wife really dislikes the smell of cooking food - I had to cook my pulled pork outside so it wouldn't make her nauseous.

Finally, I have a membership to Costco, I have my dad's SAMs club card, I'll be working at Sprouts and get a 15% discount, and we live near a Trader Joes. I will have Saturday evenings and Sundays off, so those are the days I can do the most food prep.

Thank you for your help!



Submitted July 08, 2016 at 08:34PM by Lzzvq http://ift.tt/29nSWpy EatCheapAndHealthy

No comments:

Post a Comment